The Library allows the check out of Internet accessible
laptops. Laptops will be available for checkout at the Library Media Center located on the first floor. Currently registered CSUS Graduate and Undergraduate students who are in good standing are eligible. You must have a valid CSUS One Card with no outstanding library fines or charges. Laptops can be checked out at the Library Media Center desk upon presenting your One Card and signing the Laptop Computer Loan Agreement and Use Policy.
Wired and Wireless access is available from all floors in the Library. Network access is only available to currently registered CSUS Students, Staff and Faculty. You must have an active SacLink account and will be prompted to login through your Internet browser when you try to access a website. If you have any questions or problems please contact the University Help Desk (ARC bldg. room 2005) at (916) 278-7337.
It is assumed that the borrower is computer literate and is familiar with the laptop's operating system. The library does not provide training or assistance in the use of the operating system and the applications installed on the laptop. If you experience technical difficulties (i.e. unable to open MS Word, etc.) contact the Library Media Center.
- Only one laptop per person may be checked out at one time.
- A laptop may be checked out for up to a 4 hour period when the Library is open.
- The borrower is responsible for the safe and timely return of a borrowed laptop to Library Media Center Desk. Laptops that are not returned on time will have their laptop borrowing privileges suspended for the rest of the Semester.
- Personal software may not be loaded on to the laptop.
- The University is not responsible for any files left on any laptop or for loss of or damage to a user's files during the loan period.
- The University is not responsible for any computer viruses that may be transferred to or from, a user's diskette or the Internet.
Replacement and Repair Charges
The borrower accepts full responsibility of the laptop and accessories. The borrower will reimburse California State University, Sacramento for the cost of repairing or replacing the laptop and/or accessories if they are damaged, lost, or stolen while checked out. The replacement cost for the laptop will be
no less than $2000, plus processing fees.
The 4 Apple laptops available for checkout are Macintosh iBooks with the following specifications:
- CPU: 1.2 GHz G4
- RAM: 768 MB of SDRAM
- Video: ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 4x AGP
- Displays: 14.1 24-bit SVGA (1024 x 768) color active matrix, resolution scaling for 640 x 480 and 800 x 600 modes
- Hard drive: 60 GB 4200 rpm ATA/100
- Optical drive: Combo drive (combo drive writes CD-R discs at up to 24x, CD-RW at up to 16x, reads DVD-ROM at up to 8x, CD- ROM at up to 24x)
- USB 2.0 ports: 2
- FireWire ports: 1
- 10/100Base-T ethernet and v.92 56k modem standard
- Wireless networking: 54 Mbps AirPort Extreme, optional on 1 GHz model, standard on 1.2 GHz model
- Internal modem: v.92
- Microphone: built in
- Battery: rated at 6 hours
- Size: 12.7 x 10.2 x 1.35 (32.3 x 25.9 x 3.4 cm)
- Weight: 5.9 pounds (2.7 kg) with battery
- Mac OS 10.4 Tiger
- Office 2004 (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Entourage)
- Acrobat Reader
- Firefox & Safari web browsers
- Macromedia Flash, Shockwave
- Windows Media Player
- Real Player
The 16 PC laptops available for checkout are Dell Latitude D630 with the following specifications:
- Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7100 (1.80GHz) 2M L2 Cache, 800MHz Dual Core
- 14.1 inch Wide Screen WXGA LCD Panel with 1280 X 800 resolution
- Intel® Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
- 1.0GB, DDR2-667 SDRAM
- 80 GB Serial ATA Hard Drive
- Fixed 8X DVD+/-RW DVD ROM
- Integrated 10/100 network interface card
- Internal 56K v.92 Fax modem
- Sigma Tel High Definition Audio
- 9 Cell Primary Battery (Approx. 2 to 4 hours operating life depending on use)
- 85WHR A/C Adapter, Energy Star Compliant
- Dell Wireless™ 1390 802.11g Mini Card
- No FLOPPY
- Windows XP Professional
- Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional
- Adobe Photoshop Elements 5
- End Note
- Internet Explorer 7
- Macromedia Dreamweaver 8
- McAfee 8.5
- Microsoft Office 2007 (Access/Excel/InfoPath/PowerPoint/Publisher/Word)
- Office Compatibility pack
- Mozilla Firefox 18.104.22.168
- Pharos Notify (Wireless Printing)
- Power DVD DX
- QuickTime Player
- Roxio Easy CD Creator 5
- SciFinder Scholar 2007
- VideoLAN Media Player (VLC)
- Windows Media Player 11
- Zoom Text 9
- Jaws 8.02
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Who can borrow a laptop?
Currently registered CSUS Graduate and Undergraduate students who are in good standing are eligible to borrow a laptop.
- How do I check out a laptop?
You must present your One Card and sign a Laptop Computer Loan Agreement and Use Policy.
- Where can I check out a laptop?
Laptops are available at the Media Center located on the first floor of the library.
- How long can I have the laptop?
Laptops may be checked out for a maximum of 4 hours. They must be returned an hour before the library closes.
- Can I take the laptop outside the library?
Yes, laptops may be taken outside the library. But you are responsible for returning the laptop before the due time
- What if the laptop is damaged or stolen while I have it checked out?
You are fully responsible for the laptop while it is checked out under your name. You will be charged for any repair or replacement costs.
- Can I load my own programs on to the laptop?
No, personal programs may not be loaded on to the laptop.
- Where do I save my own files?
Personal files should be saved on a USB flash drive.
- Can I print using the laptop?
Yes, printing is available through the wireless connection in the library.
- Can I reserve a laptop?
No, Laptops cannot be reserved. They are available on a first come first served basis.
- Can someone help me use the laptop?
The Library Media Center can only assist with technical difficulties. They do not provide instructions with the use of the operating system and installed applications.